Wednesday, 25 February 2015

And so it begins...

I have a cold. I feel like my head is stuffed full of cotton wool and if my nose runs anymore we're going to have to announce a state of emergency as extensive flooding is likely. Thank god my first lecture started at 10am so I didn't have to leave the house until 9:15am. That meant ample time to try and make myself look somewhat like a human being.

My first lecture was "Graphic Design : Understanding the Principles", or as the lecturer proudly noted "Giddy Up". I tried, and failed to take notes. Mainly because the content being talked about didn't seem noteworthy. The lecturer introduced us to our first brief, a hideous ugly disgusting thing that I can't wait to complete and hand in. It was / is so open and broad that I had no idea where to start. 

The torture continued in the Tutorial straight after the Lecture. Firstly, our tutor has conveniently decided to take himself to hospital to get scans so my class had to be split between two other classes, making everything cramped and uncomfortable. We were given fifteen minutes to brainstorm and sketch some quick ideas in response to the brief and then we were partnered up. The idea was that within your partnership you then began a stimulating conversation about your ideas and decided on a concept to come up with. Unfortunately, my partner lacked any ideas whatsoever so she basically pointed at my sheet and said "I like that idea lets do that one". Feeling absolutely disgusting I was hoping and praying for a partner that was competent enough to take the reins but no such luck. 

I came home with the intention of finishing the brief and moving on but instead sniffled through eight episodes of Downton Abbey back to back whilst drinking Pineapple juice in my pyjamas. 

Day two I woke up feeling slightly better in myself with a slightly more positive outlook on life. My first lecture started at 9am so under the advice of parents and Sylvia I left the house at 8am. I got there much too early and ended up killing time on a strange picnic table where the seats were much too low. 

Image Design with Juliana was my first lecture and I settled myself into a seat on the second to back row. Why on earth people decided to sit in the seat directly behind someone in a half empty lecture theatre I will never know. I spent the entire 2 hours trying not to make awkward eye contact with them in the reflection of my laptop screen. The lecture was an introduction to Photo Media and whilst covered many principles that I already knew, was still interesting none the less. 

The next lecture straight after the previous was Design Histories and Futures. Its a theory based unit therefore the lecture was a little more meaty and thus more enjoyable. Again, I had someone sit directly behind me and drove me insane by peeling the plastic label off his bottle in an excruciatingly slow manner for about half the lecture.

I then had an hour break in which to occupy myself. I decided to take myself over to Kingswood campus to pick up a text book called "Graphic Design Theory" and then heading back to Werrington South. I headed to Cafe South, one of the cafes on my campus and picked up a bag of chips and a hot chocolate. 

After burning my tongue on the hot chocolate (it was very hot) and eating my chips I headed over the way to my Design Histories and Futures tutorial. Karen, my tutor, seemed really nice. She has this cool vibe about her. She had her hair in a side pony with the top braided, wore a graphic tee and some black skinny jeans and converse. What made her even cooler is she looked to be in her late 30s, early 40s. She made everyone pair up and discuss points about the lecture. My partner wasn't particularly talkative so I basically carried the conversation for 10 minutes before I just gave up and we lapsed into a somewhat awkward silence. At the end of the tutorial nobody quite realised that it was the end and that we had to leave so everyone just sat there chatting until she shouted at us (in a nice way) to leave which was quite humorous. 

I then made the rather soggy walk down to the design building. I had an Image Design tutorial in the photo labs where the tutor explained how to use Bridge which was a little bit boring. I then had a Skills tutorial where they went over the use of the cameras and how they operate.

I finally reached the end of the day and got to go home. I think my reception job has made me much more accustomed to being bored for hours on end because the day flew by so quickly.

It's difficult being the small fish in the big pond all over again and its likely I'm going to be feeling like this for a quite a while. High School is an artificial environment engineered to make you feel like you're responsible and in control and at Uni I really don't get that feeling.

"Every day may not be good, but there is something good in every day"

No comments:

Post a Comment


Template by | Header Image by Freepik