Pages

Monday 9 March 2015

If you don't stop checking your phone...

Tuesday morning started off in the usual fashion. I made my way to uni for my day of Graphic Design : Understanding Principles. The lecture went in the usual fashion that I've noticed, some general and unhelpful information followed by the presentation of the brief, the part we've all be waiting for. This week, we were given a much more reasonable brief of creating an editorial illustration in a collage style for an article we were randomly assigned.

In the tutorial we were assigned our partner. My first impression of my partner was, "hmm he doesn't look too bad" and I was hopeful he was the quiet creative genius type. How wrong I was. My previous partner was like a creatively blessed angel compared to him. He sat there for a very long time without saying anything. He sat there tapping his leg up and down incessantly whilst replying to messages on his phone and checking Facebook on his laptop at the same instant. After minutes of excruciating and uninspired silence I decided to take the lead and explain my take on the brief.
The article we were given can be found here:
My idea was to juxtapose the classical and sophisticated European tradition of La Tomatina with the bogan and gaudy Australian culture that tried to replicate it. After attempting to produce something during the tutorial I eventually gave up and we left the tutorial 15 minutes early.

I got in the car distraught. I decided that I hated uni and that I made a mistake choosing a Design course. That afternoon I researched my options and the possibility of switching to a business or management degree in June. I went over to my auntys that afternoon and we discussed my options. She advised that I should stick with Design at least a year to make sure that I really didn't like it. She said I'd regret it if I didn't give it a good go. After my aunty's house I headed to my boyfriend's house. We sat upstairs and chilled on the lounge and I started to work on the brief. In a quiet relaxed environment I was able to put my thoughts together and produce something half decent. Having my boyfriend there providing support and honest helpful feedback made all the difference. I trust his opinion so much and he helped me to keep going, as cheesy as it sounds.

I went to bed feeling like I could achieve things in design, all I had to do was get my groove back.

Wednesday started off with an Image Design tutorial which was basically an extension on what we learnt the week before. We looked at more examples of creative use of lighting and motion and reviewed the settings on the camera.

Design Histories and Futures was sort of interesting. However I spent the majority of the time messing around with my collage illustration. We covered aspects of modernism and the industrial revolution.

The DHF tutorial was excruciating. I was paired up with this girl. At first I was hopeful she could be a potential friend. She seemed organised and on top of things and my kind it person. I even complimented her on her lovely rainbow keyboard cover. How disappointed I was. The first comment she made was about her "Mac". True Mac owners don't flaunt their products (anymore than necessary. Obviously the design of the product flaunts itself but that's different), she broke the rule. "Oh this is my first Mac. It's brand new. I'm still getting used to it." It wasn't so much as what she said but how she said it with her nose in the air. She then continued by asking whether I'd read the readings we were assigned the week prior. I responded that I had and she proceeded to rip into them saying she didn't understand why we had to read the foreword and the introduction to the textbook. To me this was the most stupid statement. The introduction is hugely important in the book as it gives you basically an overview to the whole unit and why we're actually bothering to study any of this. We then joined with two other girls who also hadn't read the reading. They decided to try and read it then and soon realised it wasn't the easiest thing to read as it had "big words". When we had to contribute answers as a group they all came from me.

The Image Design tutorial was equally disappointing. It was basically an opportunity to put the photos on the computer and spend 30 seconds with the tutor hardly critiquing any work at all. I asked for her help at the end of class and she said "sorry the next class will be coming in soon" and that was that. We were basically kicked out 10 minutes early.

Thursday morning tutorial with Leon was interesting. I like seeing what the other people in the class have done on the brief because everyone has such different takes on it. Some of them were good and some average. I didn't get much feedback on mine other than "yeah that's really interesting! I love how the statue is standing on an Esky for a plinth!"

We had homework from Leon. We had to send him an email using a professional tone, proper grammar and spelling etc. and explain why we chose a design degree. We also had to send him a link to our Pinterest account. Mines already well established with 3.6k pins. I'm quite proud of that.

Week 3 starts tomorrow and I'm keen for the next brief they throw at us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik